For years now, the festive period has gone hand-in-hand with our nation’s love for animals. Whether they’re jumping on trampolines (yes, we’re talking about that advert) or bringing to life the latest feel-good winter blockbuster – have you ever wondered where these animals are trained?
The answer is Amazing Animals, in Chipping Norton and we’ve been assisting them in the creation of a brand new penguin pool.
You can’t keep celebrity penguins waiting
Like any asset, the training facility needed their penguin pool back up and running as quickly as possible (they are celebrity penguins after all!), which is why they were sold on our fast return to service performance coatings solutions. Usually, a newly formed concrete asset needs around 28 days to dry out before any treatments can be applied to the surface. This was too long for Amazing Animals, but luckily we had a solution.
Here’s a quick rundown of the process:
- We applied our deep seal product which enabled us to start coating the pool in just 72 hours
- Following our usual comprehensive surface preparation, we applied an epoxy primer (EP90)
- After inspecting the surface, we applied a high build body coat to any visible pinholes
- Then we coated the pool in our polyurea HT100 FUB
- Finally a UV stable, beige polyurethane top coat was added to prevent pigment drift in what was a chlorinous environment
The Penguin pool at Amazing Animals has been used to train some of the film and television industry’s most loved penguins, including the ones which invaded the Jonathon Ross show with hilarious consequences and those which starred alongside Jim Carey in the 2011 blockbuster, Mr Popper’s Penguins.
Whatever your fast-return-to-service performance coating requirements, be it penguins pools, pipelines or plant, SPI Performance Coatings can assist you in achieving specification best practice.
Why not read some more (industrial) case studies here, or call us today on 0800 0921 232.